Sunday, March 26, 2006

Wrestling With Wolves

"Search me, O God, and know my heart;test me and know my anxious thoughts.See if there is any offensive way in me,and lead me in the way everlasting."-- Psalm 139:23-24

The Wolves Within
a Cherokee legend

A boy sat thoughtfully by his grandfather’s side, waiting for the old man to speak.

"A fight goes on inside me,” the grandfather began, “a terrible fight between two wolves, each as different as day and night. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside each of us."

The grandson pondered these things and then asked, "Grandfather, which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

No comments: