Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I Love Books


(Because a typical book list just won’t cut it, here’s a random book you can find on my bookshelf.)

Dune by Frank Herbert

I love this piece of classic science-fiction.  The desert planet Arrakis, aka Dune, is the only planet where Spice can be found.  More valuable than gold, Spice is a mind-altering substance that facilitates interplanetary travel, among other things.  Think peyote, only way cooler.   As such, whoever controls Dune controls the universe. (Insert music for dramatic effect here.)

There are two royal families constantly fighting for control of the planet: House Atreides and House Harkonnen. Paul Atreides plays the young heir usurped by the Harkonnen who forcefully take over Arrakis causing Paul and his mother, the Lady Jessica, to run hiding in the desert. Unknown to him, Paul is destined to become the planet's Messiah, a long-prophesied savior who will help the native people of Arrakis reclaim their planet.

Also woven into the story are a “religious” group called The Bene Gesserit, a sisterhood whose members train their bodies and minds through years of physical and mental conditioning in order to achieve superhuman abilities which they use for political posturing, among other things.  The empath in me (more on that another time) loved these characters and the idea that your mind is capable of much when properly focused.  My favorite quote from the book is “the litany against fear” used by the Bene Gesserit to focus their minds and calm themselves in the mist of chaos and/or impending danger.

“I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer.  Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.  And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.  Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.”

It reminds me of 2 Timothy 1:7.  “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.”

What can I say?  The control freak in me is attracted to the idea of power.  Keeping in mind, however, that with great power, comes great responsibility.  Quoting Spiderman?  Really, April?  Nope.  Voltaire said it first, circa 1832, proving once again that there is nothing new under the sun.

No comments: