Monday, February 06, 2012

Old Poetry

I was digging through my computer archives when I ran across this old poem.  It's funny how our lives go through seasons.  Healing is a work in progress. 


"Two Halves"
~ by April Milam

Two halves resided
In the heart of one.
One half was free
The other was numb.

I once had a heart
that had two halves. 
One half I gave to God,
saying, "Take me as I am. 
Well, not really all,
just this part of me,
the half I'm willing
to let you see."

Either selfishness
or lack of trust
had me hiding the other half
in a box.
I locked it up tight
wrapped it in chains
determined that no one would see
the ugliness I hid in my heart
and I threw away the key.

But the numbness, you see
would not be contained
by the box and all of its chains.
Slowly it spread
to both halves of my heart
until all I had left was my pain.

That terrible ache
would wake me at night
with nightmares of heavy stones
that pinned me down
as I lost my breath
fearful at hearing
my own cracking bones.

With tears in my eyes
I prayed, "Dear Lord,
I come to you, just as I am.
Take the good.  Take the ugly.
Take all of my heart.
Lord, please make me whole again."

And He threw off the chains
and He unlocked the box
exposing darkness to light.
And the weight that was crushing me
disappeared
as the Son chased away night.

He took both pieces
of my broken heart.
He made it whole and complete.
And with mended heart
I stood by His side
and I knew
I was finally free.

No comments: