Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pool Ponderings


I've just spent an hour in the pool at The Y, punishing my muscles. I love swimming. Ever since I was a kid, I've taken to water like a fish. Today I think I figured out why I enjoy it so much.

As you swim, the water envelops you, resisting, reacting to every movement: push, pull, expand, contract, action, reaction. The water is with you every stroke and kick. Its presence is undeniable. What I love about it the most is the way it reminds me of God. His constant presence is as close to us as our next breath. For better or for worse, in the center of the laughter, the tears, or the mundane, He is there.

I can see the water, feel it against my skin, smell the salt and chlorine. It's tangible. God is just as tangible if we're willing to stop and breathe. His light, love, and grace envelop us. We may push away from Him or experience an irresistible pull towards Him. But He is there always.

I think I needed the comfort of that reminder, today.

Now faith is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].” Hebrews 11:1 (AMP)

No comments: